BLSA Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria:
UNIT 1: Basic Life Support and Management of Anaphylaxis
1. Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is breathing normally.
1.1 Assess the scene for danger
1.2 Assess a casualty's level of consciousness
1.3 Demonstrate how to open a casualty's airway and check for breathing
1.4 Demonstrate how to place an unresponsive casualty in the recovery position
2. Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is not breathing normally.
2.1 Recognise the need to commence Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
2.2 Perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation on a manikin
3. Know how to recognise a casualty with anaphylaxis.
3.1 Identify the common triggers for anaphylaxis
3.2 Recognise the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis
3.3 Identify the possible life-threatening features of an anaphylactic reaction
4. Be able to manage a casualty with anaphylaxis.
4.1 Administer treatment to a casualty suffering from anaphylaxis; including:
- Summoning appropriate emergency assistance
- Casualty positioning
4.2 Prepare appropriate medication for administration during anaphylaxis treatment
4.3 Identify key features of various adrenaline auto-injectors
4.4 Demonstrate the safe use of an adrenaline auto-injector using training device
4.5 State how to safely dispose of sharps