1. Understand the effects of food allergens and food intolerances on the human body.
1.1 Explain the terms food allergy and food intolerance
1.2 Summarise the different types of common food allergies and intolerance
1.3 Explain the term allergic reaction and anaphylactic shock
1.4 Summarise the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction
1.5 Describe the management of anaphylactic shock
2. Understand the legal responsibilities and obligations of employers and employees to meet the current food safety and the labelling of allergenic foods legislation.
2.1 Explain the terms civil and criminal law
2.2 Summarise the legal obligations of employers and employees in accordance with current legislation
2.3 Explain the enforcement of current food safety and labelling of allergenic foods legislation in the civil and criminal courts
2.4 Summarise the terms catering establishment, pre packed food, pre packed for direct sale and non pre packed foods
3. Know how to identify different types of common ingredients in meals which pose an allergy risk.
3.1 Interpret ingredients in common foods which may pose an allergenic risk to consumers
4. Know the information requirements for food labelling.
4.1 Summarise the terms gluten free and very low gluten
4.2 Explain the food labelling requirements in accordance to current legislation
5. Know how to provide consumers with allergen information.
5.1 Explain how information on allergenic ingredients should be provided to consumers
5.2 Summarise the information a consumer with a food allergy or intolerance should be advised on how to purchase food safely
6. Understand the control measures to minimise the risk of allergens from supplier through to consumer.
6.1 Summarise the good hygiene practices employers and employees can take to reduce the risk of cross-contamination of food allergens
6.2 Describe the correct process for hand washing in accordance with current practice
6.3 Summarise the control measures necessary to minimise the risk of delivery, storage, preparation, cooking and display in posing an allergenic risk to consumers
6.4 Summarise the content of a workplace allergen policy
6.5 Summarise the content of a workplace food allergen awareness session for employees